Gnocchi are super delicious, easy to make and always good to have on hand to make a quick meal. Just add some pesto or another sauce and ready is your dinner. One of my favorite ways to prepare my homemade Gnocchi is by frying them with a creamy lemon spinach sauce. Find the recipe here and feel free to try it!
They are great as a main dish or even as a side dish. Because they are so easy to use for several recipes, I always try to have some Gnocchi at home. Of course I prefer my homemade Gnocchi for cooking. When I prepare them, I always make two extra portions to keep them the freezer in case of an “I need something to eat, but forgot to do the grocery shopping and now it’s Sunday and the shops are closed. Well, it seems I’m gonna starve to death”-emergency. We all have been there, right?
But no reason to worry, if you follow my wise advice and always keep an extra portion in your freezer, you won’t starve to death. Instead, you can enjoy your relaxing Sunday evening on the couch with a delicious Gnocchi meal. You are so welcome 🙂 and now enjoy cooking!
- 500g potatoes
- 1 cup flour (and some extra to sprinkle)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp starch
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Cook potatoes for about 20 minutes in a pot with salted water until tender.
- Now mash the potatoes and combine with flour, starch, and salt.
- Transfer the dough to a floured working surface and divide dough into half. Form each half into a long rope, rolling it along your floured surface. Cut the rope into little pieces (about 2 cm) and either cook them this way or create the typical gnocchi pattern by lightly pressing a fork into the little pieces.
- Bring salted water to boil and put the gnocchi carefully into the hot water.
- As soon as they float to the surface, they are done and you can remove them with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Now they are ready to use. Pan-fry them in oil until golden brown and add your favorite sauce or just serve them with pesto.