Chocolate dipped marzipan almond horns are very popular cookies in Germany (Mandelhörnchen). They are especially great for Christmas and I’m sure you gonna love this vegan, eggless recipe!
Christmas time is cookie time!
Since I spend the last two years abroad spending Christmas on the beach, I have to catch up on all the Christmas traditions. One of my favorite parts is definitely baking Christmas cookies! I love to meet friends on a cold and rainy afternoon to bake several kinds of cookies, enjoy a cup of tea, light up the candles and welcome Christmas season. When the whole apartement smells like Christmas cookies, you reflect on the past year with your friends while nipping on your cup of tea and nibble the raw cookie dough, I always think that this level of coziness can not be exceeded.
When it comes to cookies, I am quite picky. I prefer moisture and flavorful ones and don’t like dry biscuits. Baking them at home, I also like an easy and simple recipe, which doesn’t requite thousands of ingredients and preparation. Eventually, I don’t want to waste my time kneading together an endless list of ingredients, but philosophize with my friends, make some quality checks on the cookies and indulge another cup of tea.
For this year’s Christmas baking session I’ve chosen to include these marzipan almond horns next to my vegan ginger cookies. They are a typical german Christmas biscuit and they are super delicious. I mean the combination of almonds, marzipan and chocolate only can result in a culinary success, right?
Other than that, there is actually not more to say, because the recipe is very simple.
I hope you gonna enjoy these german sweet treats and have a wonderful day!
Equipment to bake Marzipan Almond Horns
To bake these delicious almond horns, you need the following equipment:
- A bowl for kneading the ingredients
- A brush to brush the horns
- Baking paper (I’ll take my reusable baking paper* for that)
- Pot and bowl to melt chocolate (or you make it in the microwave)
- 200g marzipan
- 100g almonds (ground)
- 100g icing sugar*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g almonds (flaked)
- 100g dark chocolate (vegan)
- Knead marzipan, ground almonds, powdered brown sugar, baking powder, lemon juice and cinnamon to an even dough.
- Form small horns from the dough and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush the almond horns with a little bit of water (not too much!) and then add the sliced almond flakes. Press them lightly on the dough.
- Bake the horns for 10-15min at 180ºC (circulating air).
- Let the horns cool down.
- Melt the chocolate and dip each end of the horns into the melted chocolate. Put the horns back on the baking paper until the chocolate has dried.
*I used raw cane sugar, which I blended to powdered sugar. But you can use usual icing sugar as well.
* These products are affiliate links. This means that you support BloomingwithFlavors with a small commission when buying the recommended product. There are no additional costs for you! Thank you for appreciating my work