This simple basic recipe for a homemade, vegan vanilla sauce succeeds without ready-made products and without egg. With only 5 ingredients, you can make this sweet sauce in 10 minutes.
VEGAN VANILLA SAUCE FOR DESSERTS AND SWEETS
Everyone loves a good vanilla sauce and it can be used quite versatile. Whether with an apple strudel or with various cakes, vanilla sauce perfectly rounds off many dishes. Especially in the wintertime, the warm, vegan vanilla sauce is very popular. I like the sweet sauce to baked apple, yeast dumplings or even to a fresh fruit salad.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT VANILLA SAUCE
The most important thing for a good vanilla sauce is of course a pleasant, delicious vanilla flavor. The best choice is a real vanilla bean, because it brings a natural and strong flavor to the vegan vanilla sauce. Of course, you can also use vanilla flavoring or vanilla sugar, but these are often not as aromatic and can sometimes taste a bit artificial.
To scrape out the vanilla pulp from a vanilla bean, cut the vanilla bean open lengthwise with a small knife. Then you can easily scrape the small black seeds out of the pod with the tip of the knife.
USE THE REMAINS OF YOUR VANILLA BEAN
Real vanilla beans are relatively expensive. To use even the remnants of your vanilla bean, there are a few options:
- Vanilla sugar: You can put the scraped out vanilla bean with some sugar in a container and keep it sealed for a few days. After a while, the sugar will take on the vanilla flavor and you will have homemade, aromatic vanilla sugar.
- Vanilla liqueur: You can also put the scraped vanilla bean into a liqueur or rum. After a few days, the liquid will take on a slight vanilla flavor.
- Vanilla powder: Dry the vanilla beans and then grind them to a fine powder. You can use the vanilla powder wonderfully for baking cakes or pastries.
- 250 ml vegetable milk (such as soy or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix the cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of soy milk until the starch is completely dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Pour the remaining milk into a small saucepan and add the vanilla pulp. Heat the milk while stirring until it simmers. Pour the starch mixture, turmeric, maple syrup while stirring. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.