This vegan sweet potato & red lentil curry recipe is easy and quick to make, spicy and very healthy. Served with cauliflower rice it is low carb and keto-friendly as well.
I think we all know the problem of finding the right dinner inspiration. A dish, that is easy to make, yummy but healthy as well. My favorite choice for this situation is curry! Basically you could use any kind of vegetables you have at home to make a nutritious and filling curry.
This sweet potato & red lentil curry is very healthy and low carb as well. Instead of coconut milk, I’ve used veggie broth and I substituted rice by cauliflower rice. So this dish is not only delicious but low in carbs and yet filling.
How to make the perfect curry
Making curry is not difficult. Combining the right ingredients, that will you the nutrients you need, and using great spices to give your curry the best flavors is the most important.
For this vegan curry, I’ve used sweet potatoes and red lentils. Red lentils are a great source of protein and they are packed with iron and minerals. On the other hand, sweet potatoes are high in fiber and an excellent source of beta carotene and vitamin C. Both are very filling and nutritious.
For the curry flavor, I’ve used a mix of different spices: chili, coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt. You could also use curry paste to season your curry.
I really hope, you enjoy this recipe. It’s especially a great comfort food on those cold days outside.
- 500g Sweet Potatoes (about 1 kg), cut into small cubed
- 200g Lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1.5 tsp grounded coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin, grounded
- 1 tsp turmeric, grounded
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Cauliflower
- Rinse lentils and let them drain.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add onions and garlic. Saute for about 2-3 min until soft.
- Add the spices and mix well to combine all the ingredients. Stir for one more minute.
- Now add the lentils, sweet potatoes, and veggie broth. Bring to boil and let it simmer for about 30 min. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash the cauliflower, remove the greens and cut cauliflower into very little pieces. I always use a large knife for this step. You could also grate the cauliflower with the help of a food processor. But the roughly cauliflower rice made by hand is just fine.
- Now add one tbsp of oil in another pan, add cauliflower and fry for about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Now arrange cauliflower rice and curry on a plate and enjoy!