This vegan banana bread with tahini is a classic and always tastes good. Whether for breakfast, as a cake with coffee, or dessert, this simple banana bread always fits and is one of my favorite healthy treats!
Today I share with you my favorite recipe for banana bread. Banana bread is my solution when I have ripe bananas left over, when I want to make a simple, quick cake or when I feel like something sweet without sugar. The recipe is simple and quick to prepare, requires only a few ingredients and so far everyone has really enjoyed it.
The beauty of this banana bread recipe is that you don’t need an expensive mixer! A mixing bowl, a fork to mash the bananas, and a sturdy spoon to mix the batter are all you need. For the banana loaf, I don’t use extra refined or brown sugar. Instead, I use maple syrup alongside the bananas for a nice, natural sweetness. Admittedly, I add a few chocolate drops because I’m just a chocolate fan. But you can just leave out the chocolate if you want to avoid sugar altogether.
Also, the recipe contains no milk, egg or other animal products. The baking powder, the bananas, and tahini make the dough fluffy and it rises nicely.
I have tried a few recipes, but never really have luck with them. Either it was too dry, too mushy or it didn’t convince me taste-wise. But this banana loaf has just the right consistency and a great taste! Because the banana bread is crispy on the outside and moist and fluffy on the inside – Just as it should be! The vegan cream cheese topping gives that extra something and a fresh, creamy touch.
If you like, you can add chopped nuts or (dried) fruit to the dough or fill the dough into muffin tins and bake banana tahini muffins instead.
TIPS FOR THE BEST VEGAN BANANA BREAD
- BANANAS: It all depends on the bananas! The bananas should be nice and ripe. For one thing, this way they bring enough sweetness and are easy to mash into a banana puree. Also, the bananas serve as a binder and replace the need for eggs or other egg substitutes.
- VARIATIONS: Enhance your banana bread with additional ingredients and toppings! For example, you can add walnuts, pecans, or dried fruit to the dough. Once the dough is in the loaf pan, you can also sprinkle it with nuts, sesame seeds, oatmeal, or sunflower seeds. This way you’ll give the bread more texture and add some more protein.
- DON’T OVERMIX: When baking banana bread, it’s best not to overmix. If the dough is mixed too much, the gluten proteins will become an elastic dough and the banana bread may not rise as well. Just keep mixing the dough until you can’t see any streaks of flour.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT BANANA BREAD
Making vegan banana bread is super easy!
Simply mash the bananas with a fork on a plate or board and put them in a bowl.
Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix the dough well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. It’s best to use a toothpick to test if the batter is cooked through. If the wooden stick comes out clean, it’s done. Let the banana bread cool thoroughly.
Mix the cream cheese and spread the cream on the cooled banana bread. If you like, you can sprinkle some almond slivers or rose petals on top. Now slice the bread and enjoy.
And that’s it, perfectly golden, moist, and flavorful vegan banana bread, made simple and healthy!
MORE BANANA RECIPES
MORE VEGAN SWEETS
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 100g ground almonds
- 150g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60 ml tahini
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30g chocolate drops (vegan)
Cream Cheese Topping:
- 100g cream cheese (vegan)
- 1 tsp blueberry powder (or acai powder)
- Some maple syrup to taste
- Slivered almonds
- Dried rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (convection oven).
- Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork to make a kind of pulp.
- Put the banana puree in a bowl.
- Add the ground almonds, flour, baking powder, tahini, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and mix until smooth.
- Stir the chocolate drops into the batter.
- Pour the dough into a greased loaf pan and bake the banana bread for 30-40 minutes.
- Let the banana bread cool down.
- For the cream cheese topping, simply mix all ingredients to a fine cream and spread it on the cooled banana bread.
- Decorate with almond slivers and rose petals if desired.