Vegan buckwheat galette with carrot green pesto, caramelized carrots and roasted walnuts
You can find a wide variety of dishes under the name “Galette”. As you may know, I already have a recipe on my blog for a galette with crispy shortcrust pastry, beetroot, mushrooms, and thyme. But there is also a ‘Breton galette’ with buckwheat flour. This type of galette comes from France and is similar to a thin crepe made from fermented buckwheat dough.
Traditionally, the Breton pancake is served with a hearty filling and a fried egg in the middle. For my recipe, I use a vegan filling without an egg. Instead, I use a delicious combination of carrot top pesto, caramelized carrots, and roasted walnuts. These buckwheat galettes, therefore, go perfectly with the season, are easy to prepare, and are completely plant-based.
As mentioned earlier, a galette is made from a fermented buckwheat dough. I recommend mixing the dough in advance and letting it rise for 30–60 minutes. This makes the taste a little more intense. If you don’t have the time, you can also use the batter directly. This variant also tastes great!
Galette dough (for about 4 galettes):
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 300 ml of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Some vegan butter for frying
Caramelized carrot filling (for about 4 galettes):
- 8 small carrots
- 5-6 tbsp butter (vegan)
- 4 tsp of brown sugar
- A small sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3-4 tbsp walnuts
- 5-6 tbsp carrot green pesto
- Mix all ingredients for the crepe batter in a large bowl and let rest for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the carrots, peel them, and cut them in half lengthways.
- Melt the butter in a pan. As soon as the butter has melted, add the sugar and stir.
- Now put the carrot halves in the pan and caramelize in the pan for a few minutes until carrots get golden. Set aside and keep warm.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and roast them in a pan without oil. Set aside.
- Pluck the rosemary and cut roughly. Set aside.
- For the galette, melt the butter in a hot pan.
- Add some batter (not too much) to the pan. Swivel the pan so that the batter is evenly distributed on the bottom of the pan. Then bake for a few minutes.
- Place the filling on top of the galette: Spread the carrot green pesto on the crepe, place the carrots in the middle of the crepe and fold the edges of the pastry.
- Serve galette with roasted walnuts and fresh rosemary.