This galette recipe needs only a few ingredients, is easy to make, healthy and vegan. It’s a savory galette dough with beetroot, mushrooms, and thyme. Perfect nourishing meal for dinner.
What is Galette?
The word ‘Galette’ comes from the French cuisine (in french ‘galet’) and stands for flat, round and crusty cakes. Maybe you also know the Breton Galette, which describes a pancake made of buckwheat and mostly with savory filling.
In general, I would describe galette as a form-free tarte, which can be filled either sweet or savory. The great thing about galettes is, that it doesn’t require any special tart form or pie dish as it is formed only by hand with a rolling pin. Also, the dough is very easy to make and basically consists of only a few ingredients: flour, water, oil, salt. You see, it’s a super easy and versatile dish.
How to make Galette?
Making galettes is very easy and doesn’t take much time. You just need to make the dough and let it chill, prepare your filling, bake it… et voila: ready is your galette.
But here are just some little notes, that you need to keep in mind:
- Begin by making the galette crust first, as it needs to chill for about 30 min! The dough only needs a few ingredients (flour, oil, water, salt and herbs (optional) and is easy to knead.
- While the dough is chilling, you can prepare your filling. For my Galette I used beetroot, mushrooms and fresh thyme. But basically, you can use any veggies (savory) or fruits (sweet) you like. I will give you some more inspiration for other galettes below.
- Once the dough is ready, roll it into a big circle. Spread out your filling, leaving room at the edges of your pastry crust to fold up the crust into a tart.
- Last but not least, sprinkle some olive oil, salt, and pepper on top. Carefully fold up the edges, and put your beautiful galette in the oven.
What other kinds of galette could I bake?
Alright, in case you need some inspiration for other combinations for your galette, here we go:
- Galette with Creme Fraiche, Mushrooms and Cheese
- Galette with Spinach and Tomatoes
- Galette with Sweet Potatoe, Zucchini & Walnuts
- Galette with Peach and whipped cream
- Galette with blueberries and vanilla ice cream
- Galette with apples and cinnamon
Galette Dough Ingredients:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 beetroot
- 200g champignons
- fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Prepare the dough by kneading all ingredients to a smooth dough.
Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes (can be chilled overnight or frozen for future use).
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, slice beetroot & mushrooms.
- Divide dough into two equal parts. On a floured surface, roll each dough out to a circle about 30-cm in diameter. Gently transfer the doughs onto the prepared baking tray.
Place beetroot and mushroom slices on the dough to within about 2-3 cm of the outside edge. Now fold the edge of the dough over the filling, creasing and folding until completing the circle. Sprinkle each galette with oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.