I love this recipe so much and I am happy to share my vegan version for Gnocchi in a creamy lemon spinach sauce. Gnocchi are great as a main dish or even as a side dish. I always have some Gnocchi at home and prefer my homemade Gnocchi for cooking.
While you can eat Gnocchi in many ways, for example with a nice tomato sauce or pesto, this creamy lemon spinach sauce is my favorite. As Gnocchi itself can quite filling sometimes, the freshness of the lemons and the greens from the spinach balance the richness of the little potato dumplings and gives the dish a perfect taste. Topped with some vegan parmesan cheese, they are just right to get into my belly.
My vegan creamy sauce is made of soaked cashews, dairy-free milk, and vegetable broth. To prepare the cashews, I soak them for 20-30 minutes in hot water. This way, they don’t need to soak for hours overnight and they can be prepared while cutting the garlic and squeezing the lemons and maybe while having a glass of wine and a nice talk to your boyfriend or friends. Or while just being on your own, listening to podcasts or reading and inspiring food blogs. But I just notice I’m losing the thread, because I wanted to write about the Gnocchi and not about how to kill time while waiting for the cashews to soak. But maybe that’s an idea for another post. What do you think? 🙂
- 500g gnocchi (find recipe for homemade Gnocchi here)
- 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200g spinach
- 3-4 tbsp parmesan cheese (vegan)
- 1 1/2 cup cream sauce (see below)
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup Cashew nuts (soaked for 20 min in hot water)
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Prepare the cream sauce by soaking cashews in hot water for 20-30 min.
- Meanwhile, bring salted water to boil and put the gnocchi into it. As soon as they float to the surface, they’re done and you can remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and put them at the side to drain.
Grate the lemon zest, cut the lemon in two, and squeeze out the juice.
Peel the garlic and chop it into small pieces.
- Fry the gnocchi in some oil until golden brown.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and spinach until spinach is collapsing.
- Meanwhile put soaked (and drained) cashews with milk and broth into a blender and blend until the mixture gets creamy.
- Add cream sauce and parmesan cheese to gnocchi, stir and cook for another 1-2 min.