Vegan cheese spaetzle are the perfect soul food and can be prepared in just 25 minutes. With a fresh salad, this dish is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Vegan cheese spaetzle is my personal soul food for the first grey autumn days of the year. There is something comforting about these delicious little flour lumps and they remind you of the beautiful sides of autumn and winter: Cozy days at home, warm tea, series and films, candles, and of course delicious, hearty food.
Spaetzle is quick and easy to prepare in just 15 minutes. Then they are baked with cheese for just 10 minutes to enjoy them in their best form: cheese spaetzle! The cheese spaetzle can also be prepared in advance and they are also suitable for freezing – so you always have some to hand. I love my vegan cheese spaetzle with a simple salad. The soft cheese noodles complement each other perfectly with a crunchy salad.
Vegan cheese spaetzle - tips & notes on the recipe
- I recommend a spaetzle grater for spaetzle. This makes spaetzle just super easy. You can also simply scrape the spaetzle by hand.
- The spaetzle dough can become very hard when it dries. That’s why I wash my used dishes immediately after use. If you can’t do that, the best way to loosen the dough is with cold water.
- Of course, you can also eat the spaetzle directly as a side dish or use it for other dishes.
- If you want to prepare the spaetzle in advance or freeze them, I recommend that you rinse them off with cold water so that they don’t stick to each other.
- For the “egg taste” I use Kala Namak in my recipe. If you don’t have kala namak there or don’t like it, you can use regular salt instead.
The vegan cheese spaetzle are:
- Easy and quick to prepare
- Inexpensive and only require a few ingredients
- Without egg or other animal products
- Good for the soul and the mood 🙂
- A great alternative to rice, pasta, gnocchi
- Versatile to prepare
- 350g flour
- 90g durum wheat semolina
- 2 tsp of kala namak
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 400 ml soy milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g vegan grated cheese
- roasted onions
- fresh herbs
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce (or Lollo Rosso or similar)
- 80 ml of water
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the wheat flour, durum wheat semolina, kala namak, and turmeric in a bowl. Add the oil and soy milk and stir all the ingredients with a whisk to form an even, viscous dough.
- Bring about 2 liters of water to a boil. As soon as the water boils, brush the first part of the spaetzle dough through the spaetzle grater (or spaetzle slicer) and add it to the boiling water.
- As soon as the spaetzle swim on the surface of the water, remove them with a slotted spoon, drain them briefly and place them in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle some cheese on top. Repeat this step until the batter is done. Scatter the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake the cheese spaetzle at 180ºC for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- In the meantime, prepare the salad: Wash the salad, drain it, roughly cut it and place it in a bowl. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and pour it into the salad. For the vinegar dressing, mix the water, vinegar, and sugar together well and pour over the salad. Mix all well.
- Now serve the cheese spaetzle with the salad and enjoy.