Green Shakshuka is a great change from the classic Shakshuka recipe. With green peppers, leeks, and spinach, the healthy dish is quick and easy to prepare. Instead of the classic poached egg, we use vegan scrambled eggs here.
It’s late summer and when I come home from visiting my family and unpack, my kitchen is flooded with green peppers from my parents’ garden. And now? We already had stuffed bell peppers and somehow I wanted to try a new recipe. And then suddenly it became very clear to me what those juicy, green peppers are made for Green Shakshuka!
So far I have eaten shakshuka several times. I especially remember the Shakshuka at Neni’s in Vienna. This restaurant from Tel Aviv boasts the most delicious Israeli dishes and I tried Shakshuka therefor the first time. Have you already tried Shakshuka and can you still remember that moment?
In my experience, red Shakshuka with tomatoes, red peppers, etc. is more common, but green Shakshuka is also super tasty! For my green shakshuka, I use green peppers, leek, and spinach. Adding a little vegan cream makes the Shakshuka nice and creamy. The whole thing is rounded off with scrambled tofu. A real pleasure!
I hope you enjoy cooking!
All the best,
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka is a traditional dish from North African and Israeli cuisine. Translated from Arabic it means “mixture” and that is exactly what it is: Shakshuka stands for a colorfully mixed vegetable sauce in which eggs are usually poached.
Of course, I don’t use eggs for my vegan recipe. Instead, I add delicious, vegan “scrambled tofu”. The creamy vegetable sauce and tofu are the perfect combination. Fresh bread goes well with it.
It is important to cook with seasonal and fresh vegetables because that is exactly what Shakshuka is all about. Everything is allowed when it comes to combinations: eggplant, peppers, chickpeas, tomatoes … Here you can let off steam!
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 400g (green) capsicum
- 1 Leek
- 200g Spinach
- Salt & Pepper
Scrambled Tofu (“Vegan Egg”):
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 200g Tofu
- 1/2 tsp kala namak
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Bread to serve with (optional)
- Wash the paprika, cut in half, remove seeds and cut into fine small cubes.
- Wash the leek and cut it into slices. Wash Spinach and drain.
- Heat the butter in a pan. Once melted, add spices and fry for 1-2min.
- Add the leek and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and half of the paprika, stir and continue steaming for 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and season to taste.
- Puree everything with a hand blender. Stir in the remaining paprika and keep warm with the lid closed.
- For the vegan scrambled eggs, heat the butter in a pan. Crumble in the tofu and season with turmeric and Kala Namak. Mix everything well and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange the Shakshuka on a deep plate and top with a vegan egg. You can serve the meal with bread.