Simple tofu scramble – the vegan alternative to scrambled eggs. It’s so quick and easy to make, high in protein and you only need 6 ingredients!
This tofu scramble is my favorite vegan breakfast when it comes to savory dishes. It is super easy to make, high in protein and you will be surprised what a great alternative it is to scrambled eggs. Due to Kala Namak, the tofu gets a very eggy flavor and the turmeric makes it even look like real egg. I love to serve my tofu scramble with fried mushrooms and spring onions, but the dish is versatile and you can eat the tofu scramble even plain or fried with other veggies.
It is also a great meal for a light lunch or even dinner!
TIPS FOR THE BEST TOFU SCRAMBLE
- Use firm tofu: As we want to get a scramble tofu texture, I recommend using (extra) firm tofu. Make sure the tofu is drained well to avoid soggy scrambled tofu.
- Use butter instead of oil: In my opinion vegan butter gives as much better taste for scrambled tofu than using oil. The tofu gets a better flavor.
- Use Kala Namak: If you don’t have Kala Namak on hand, you could also use normal salt. This will taste good as well, but you won’t get this eggy flavor from normal salt. You could try to add some nutritional yeast, but I believe Kala Namak is the best solution for creating the eggy taste.
WHAT IS KALA NAMAK?
Kala Namak is a black salt, which is mainly used in the Southern Asian Cuisine. It is also called ‘Himalayan black salt’ and contains a high sulfur content, from which Kala Namak get the famous eggy flavor. The black salt is used in traditional Indian and Ayurvedic Cuisine and it is very popular for vegan cooking to recreate dishes with an eggy taste, like this scrambled tofu.
As mentioned, Kala Namak is a salt. So when using this black salt, make sure to reduce the regular amount of salt or substitue it completely with Kala Namak.
- 200g tofu (drained)
- 200G mushrooms
- 100g spring onions
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp kala namak*
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash and slice mushrooms and spring onions.
- Heat pan with butter, add mushrooms and fry until mushrooms lost their water and they are starting to get brown.
- Scramble the tofu into the pan (you can use your hands) and stir while adding kala namak and turmeric.
- Now add the spring onions, and stir your scramble tofu.
Keep it on medium to high heat while stirring for about 3-5 minutes. You can always add more kala namak or spices to taste.
* These products are affiliate links. This means that you support BloomingwithFlavors with a small commission when buying the recommended product. There are no additional costs for you! Thank you for appreciating my work.