Overnight oats have taken the breakfast world by storm. No wonder, because with their delicious taste, easy preparation and health benefits, they are perfect for your breakfast routine. But what exactly are overnight oats and how do you prepare them? In this article, you will find a super delicious basic recipe for overnight oats and many different variations.
Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch in:
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are a type of “no-cook” oatmeal made by combining oats with milk and other ingredients and soaking them in the refrigerator overnight. The oats absorb the liquid and soften, creating a creamy and delicious texture.
How long do overnight oats keep?
When stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator, overnight oat will keep for up to five days. This makes them the perfect meal prep option when you don’t have that much time in the morning.
What ingredients do you need for the recipe?
To prepare the cold oatmeal you need the following ingredients:
- Rolled oats
- Milk or milk alternative (like oat, almond, or soy milk)
- Sweeteners (like honey, maple syrup, or sugar)
- Flavors (such as vanilla extract, cinnamon, or fruits)
- Toppings (like fruit, nuts, or granola)
You can customize your overnight oats to suit your dietary needs by using the types of milk, sweeteners, flavorings, and toppings you want.
- 40 g of rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed (crushed)
- 240 ml milk drink (oat, almond or soy milk)
- Sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, date syrup, etc)
How do you prepare overnight oats?
Making overnight oats is incredibly easy and only takes a few minutes of prep time.
The following steps are necessary for the overnight oats:
- Combine oatmeal, chia seeds, flaxseed, milk, sweetener, and flavorings in a jar with a lid.
- Close the jar and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, add whatever toppings you want and enjoy!
Some overnight oat recipes to try:
- Overnight oats with vanilla and berries
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats
- Apple cinnamon overnight oats
- Chocolate banana overnight oats
Is the breakfast recipe healthy?
Yes, overnight oats are a very healthy breakfast option. Oats are a whole grain rich in fiber, protein, and vitamins and minerals. They also contain antioxidants that can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Combined with milk and other healthy ingredients, overnight oats offer a balanced meal that will keep you full for longer.
Why you should try overnight oats:
- Easy and Quick to Make: Overnight oats are a quick and easy breakfast option that can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to five days. This is perfect when you don’t have time to prepare a hot breakfast.
- Versatile Recipe: There are countless flavor combinations for overnight oats, so you can switch things up and never get bored.
- Nutritious Breakfast: Oats are a whole grain that is high in fiber, protein, and vitamins and minerals. By including other healthy ingredients like fruit and nuts, you can create a balanced and nutritious breakfast.
Tips for making the best overnight oats:
- Use regular oatmeal instead of instant oatmeal as it creates a creamier texture.
- Use a jar with a tight-fitting lid to store your overnight oats. This prevents them from spilling in the fridge and ensures they soak evenly.
- Experiment with different flavor combinations to find your favorite. Some popular combinations are vanilla and berries, peanut butter and jelly, and apple cinnamon.
- Add chia seeds or flaxseeds for an extra boost of fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
- Mix the oats with fresh fruit, nuts, or granola for added texture and flavor.
Which milk is best for overnight oats?
There is no “best” milk for overnight oats as it depends on your personal preferences and dietary restrictions. Some common options are:
- Oat milk
- Almond milk
- Soy milk
- Coconut milk
- Cow milk
Each type of milk will affect the flavor and texture of your oats, so it’s worth trying a few different options to see which you like best.
Topping ideas for overnight oats:
- Fresh fruit (like berries, sliced bananas, or chopped apples)
- Nuts (like almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
- Seeds (e.g. chia seeds or flax seeds)
- Nut butter (like peanut butter or almond butter)
- Coconut flakes or coconut flakes
Alternatives to overnight oats:
- Chia Seed Pudding: Chia seeds soaked in milk and flavored with sweetener, vanilla extract and fruit create a creamy pudding-like texture.
- Yogurt Parfait: Layer yogurt, granola, and fruit for a quick and easy breakfast.
Smoothie Bowls: Blend fruit, yogurt, and milk to create a thick and creamy smoothie that can be topped with granola, nuts, and fruit.
- Hot Oatmeal/Porridge: Cook oatmeal in milk on the stovetop for a warm and comforting breakfast option.
Overnight oats are a delicious and healthy breakfast option that offers a variety of benefits. Due to the easy preparation and the long shelf life, overnight oats are the perfect breakfast, also for working people or parents who don’t have that much time in the morning. It is best to try your way through the countless recipe variations and find your favorite variant.
Various oat recipes
You might also like these breakfast recipes
Overnight Oats basic recipe for one serving:
- 40 g rolled oat flakes (3 heaped tbsp)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp sweetener (such as date or maple syrup)
- 240 ml milk/plant drink (oat milk)
Mix all the ingredients in a small glass. Close the jar and put it in the fridge overnight (at least 4 hours). In the morning you can enjoy it with fresh fruit and the toppings of your choice.