These mashed potato cakes are a perfect side dish or even a light lunch or dinner. Made of leftover potatoes or freshly cooked ones, these stuffed potato cakes are super easy to make. Whether you prefer a more cheesy filling or a light vegan herb zucchini filling – the combinations are endless.
My own little story behind this recipe is celebrating Christmas in sunny Australia in 2018. Wondering what would be a nice dish for christmas evening, I was thinking of those kind of “Light Dumplings” as a recreation of our traditional dumplings back home in Germany. I always loved, when my mom was heating up the leftover dumplings in a pan and the mashed potato mixture got golden and crispy – so why not put it in the pan right away? Meanwhile my fiancé asked several times to cook this recipe agin, so I guess it is a good one and worth sharing with you guys.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 100-200g flour
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 big onion
- Some cheese (optional)
- salt, pepper, rosemary
- Some butter to fry
- 1 cup of sour cream
- Some fresh herbs for decoration
- Peal the potatoes and cut them into little cubes. Once done, boil potatoes until they are very soft.
- Mash the potatoes and let them cool down.
- Meanwhile cut zucchini and onion into little cubes and fry them in a pan with oil. Season the veggies with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Cut up the cheese into small cubes as well.
- Once the potatoes are cooled down, add some flour and knead the potato mixture until smooth. Add the flour step by step to get a feeling when the mixture creates a good dough to form and fill.
- Now divide the potato mixture into 8-6 pieces, press each piece flat and fill them with one tbs of the zucchini-onion mixture and cheese, wrap the potato dough around.
- When all potatoes dumplings are formed, fry them in the pan with hot butter until golden.
- Place the potatoes cakes on a plate with some sour cream and fresh herbs and enjoy the delicious food with all your senses 🙂