This bowl with teriyaki tofu and rice is a perfect dinner recipe. Marinating the tofu in a homemade teriyaki sauce brings out the full flavor.
I think we all know the situation, when we miss some recipes and dishes we ate before becoming vegan. Once in a while one of these dishes is coming to my mind and that’s the moment, when I make it a challenge. A challenge to veganize my favorite recipes and make it still edible for me. Even the taste is not always completely the same, it makes me happy to create a vegan option for those cravings.
As you might guess, this bowl here with rice and tofu teriyaki is also one of the results of this kind of challenge. I loved to eat salmon teriyaki so much that I needed to find a substitute for it. And actually is wasn’t difficult at all as I just replaced the salmon by some nice tofu cubes.
And just as a little tip: If your partner or friends you are cooking with are not vegan, you can use the same recipe and cook a vegan version and one version with salmon (fresh). I do it always like this, as my partner still eats fish and it works very well.
I hope you like the recipe! It goes very well with some fresh salad such as cucumber and tomatoes.
- 150g rice
- 400g tofu
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar*
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- For the Rice: Cook rice per instruction. Best is to start cooking the rice while tofu is marinating.
- For the Soy Sauce: In a little saucepan, bring all the ingredients to boil and let simmer for 5 min.
- Cut tofu into cubes.
- Once teriyaki sauce is ready, put tofu and sauce into an oven pan and let marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Bake teriyaki tofu for about 12 min at 180ºC.
- Now arrange rice and teriyaki tofu on a plate and enjoy. You can sprinkle with some sesame seeds if you like.
* Instead of brown sugar you could also use agave syrup.