This vegan Okonomiyaki Recipe is easy to make and super delicious! You’ll love the Japanese Savory Pancake with Cabbage for lunch, dinner, or for meal prep!
I was even happier when I had to chance to try okonomiyaki at its origin: in Japan. There you have super cozy okonomiyaki restaurants in which each guest has their own small grill plate on which you can fry your own okonomiyaki. Such a great and delicious experience!
- 200g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cabbage (finely shredded, about 400g)
- 1 bunch spring onions (chopped)
- 200 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flex seeds
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp mustard
- Vegan mayonaise
- Fried Onions
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the okonomiyaki. Mix gently to a nice dough. Leave some spring onions aside for topping later.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush the skillet with some oil and scoop half of the cabbage mixture into the skillet to make the first Okonomiyaki. Flatten the mixture with a spatula and cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until brown. Repeat with the remaining mixture, wiping out the skillet and brushing more oil, if needed.
- While Okonomiyaki is frying, prepare the Tonkatsu Sauce by mixing together soy sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste, and mustard.
- Top the okonomiyaki with tonkatsu sauce and mayonnaise. Sprinkle with fried onions. Serve hot and enjoy.