While the temperatures outside are getting colder, the heaters in the houses are getting warmer, my body temperature is craving warmness. With days getting shorter and colder, my appetite for soups increases. Honestly, I’m not a big fan of soups. Often I find that soups taste rather boring and look kind of dull. I know that’s not true, I also ate great soups in my lifetime, but that’s how I picture soups in general. WEIRD! Because this one here is a perfect example for soups being delicious. Doesn’t the bright color of this delicious pumpkin soup invite you to try a big spoon of it, and then slurp the whole pot?
This classic but delicious pumpkin soup with carrots and potatoes is a blessing on cold days. As soon as you devour the first spoon with your cold hands, you can feel the heat of the creamy vegetables and the spices of turmeric, ginger, and chilli rushing through your body. So in case heaters, warm socks and knit sweaters have not meet your heat needs, then this creamy soup will help you for sure.
I know, I know, that in life the inner values count. But just have a look at these colors! The mood is already brightening when you look at the orange pumpkin soup, don’t you think? Sometimes I find it amazing what colors mother nature brings up. Incidentally, the combination of the orange soup with the ruby-colored onions is not only a perfect match in terms of color, but also complements its flavor.
For seasoning, I’ve used turmeric, chili, and ginger. But you can play with those spices and use whatever you like. However, I think adding some hot spices gives a great flavor. Next time cooking this soup, I’ll also add some fried smoked tofu on top, as I guess this goes really well together. By the way, this soup is freezer-friendly. I’ve made two extra portions to put it in the freezer for a quick dinner. Look at me… that’s my way of getting prepared for more cold days coming 🙂
- 500g Pumpkin (I used Hokkaido)
- 400g Carrots
- 400g Potatoes
- 1/2 Liter vegetable broth
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10g ginger (about 2 cm)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Peel Pumpkin (if necessary), Potatoes and Carrots
- Cut Pumpkin, Potatoes, and Carrots into small cubes. Boil Vegetables in salted water for about 15-20 min until very soft.
- Meanwhile mince onions, garlic and ginger and fry in a small saucepan.
- Once vegetables are soft, drain them.
- Now blend veggies, onion (leave some on the side for topping), garlic, ginger together with broth until the soup gets smooth.
- Bring soup to boil, add spices and let soup simmer for 2-3 min.
- Pour soup in a bowl or soup plate, top with fried onions and enjoy.