This vegan recipe for stuffed butternut squash is easy to make and very healthy. The roasted pumpkin comes with couscous, mushrooms, feta cheese and is a perfect midweek dinner.
this morning I was sitting at my kitchen table drinking my morning coffee and my eyes were wandering to the colorful trees in our backyard. The red and yellow leaves are definitely telling it’s autumn and the butternut pumpkin in the kitchen is confirming that. So for today’s dinner, I decided to go with the flow and pay some more attention to the pumpkins out there.
I think pumpkins are a very beautiful vegetable. The color and the form – they are looking so pretty to me. Maybe that’s why I’ve chosen to use the butternut squash as a whole for this recipe. I cut the pumpkin into two halves, remove the seeds and bake the pumpkin for about 45 minutes until it gets super soft. Meanwhile, I prepared a couscous salad with fried herbal champignons, fresh spring onions, and red bell pepper. The stuffed butternut pumpkin is topped with a fresh yogurt dressing, vegan feta cheese and pomegranate.
It’s a very delicious main dish and while the soft and sweet butternut squash adds a nice flavor to the fresh couscous salad, the whole meal looks like a feast for the eyes. That’s exactly why I’ve chosen this dish to surprise my fiance with a little candlelight dinner while the autumnal trees in our backyards were covered in rainy clouds and we welcomed the grey and cold but cozy autumn evenings.
Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash
- 200g couscous
- 200g champignons
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper
- 1 bundle of spring onions
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 50g vegan feta cheese (Topping)
- pomegranate (Topping)
- 250 ml soy yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley (dried)
- Halve the Butternut Squash and remove seeds. Put on a baking tray and bake for 45 min at 180ºC.
- Prepare Couscous as per instruction.
- Wash and cut champignons, capsicum and spring onions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. mushrooms, then cook for 5 mins until golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in the oregano, thyme, cardamom, remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl mix couscous with champignons, spring onions and capsicum. Season to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients for the yogurt dressing.
- Once the butternut squash is soft, arrange on a plate and stuff with couscous and top with yogurt dressing, feat cheese and pomegranate. Enjoy 🙂