One of my favorite breakfasts is fluffy pancakes, especially when they are easy to make with simple and only a few ingredients. These ones turned out super delicious, fluffy and light. That’s why I would love to share this basic but tasty matcha pancakes recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour: For my pancakes I used wheat flour, but you can swap it and use oat flour for a gluten-free version.
- Non-Dairy-Milk: I used my homemade oat milk for these pancakes. You can use any kind of plant based milk, whereby I recommend using almond, soy or oat milk as they are not too watery, which will make a good texture.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is the ingredient, which helps to create the fluffy dough. When the vinegar combines with the milk, you can see the bubbles and this makes our pancakes just perfect. When I add the vinegar to the other ingredients, I always allow the dough to rest for 5 min. The acid of the vinegar forms curdled milk, which is similar to buttermilk. You can put together milk and vinegar seperately and let it rest for about 5 min before mixing it with the other ingredients, but you can also put the milk on top of the dry ingredients, add the vinegar and let it rest for 5 min. This also worked for me.
- Agave Syrup: As I’m avoiding to use refined sugar, I used agave syrup for this recipe. You can use a very ripe banana or maple syrup instead to add some sweetness.
- Matcha: Matcha is a green tea, which contains coffein and provides energy for some extra power during the day. Furthermore, it contains valuable antioxidants that protect the body against free radicals, work against inflammation and can provide healthy arteries.
Topping Ideas for Pancakes
There’s a myriad of pancake topping options! Peanut butter, bananas, fresh berries, nuts, and seeds – just to drop a few ideas. One of my favorite options is probably melted chocolate and raspberries. But you could also simply squeeze some lemon juice and sprinkle some sugar or enjoy your pancakes with fried bananas and peanut butter.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1-2 tsp matcha powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- some vegan butter for pan
- 50g dark vegan chocolate
- Melted chopped dark chocolate over hot water.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Add vanilla, milk on top, do not stir. Now add apple cider vinegar on top of the milk and let it rest for about 5 until milk curdle and you can see little bubbles.
- Once curdled, stir all the ingredients with a whisk.
- Preheat a non-stick pan on the stove, add butter. Once butter is melted, pour dough carefully onto the hot surface (pancake by pancake), and cook until the edges are dry. Flip and cook until each side is browned. **
- Staple the Pancakes on a plate and top with chocolate sauce and fresh berries.
*You can also use oat-flour for gluten-free version ** To keep my pancakes warm, I put the cooked once on a plate in the oven (50ºC).