Vegan Gluten free Paleo · This homemade Peri Peri sauce recipe is so delicious. Made with capsicum, chilli, onions, garlic and herbs, onions & lemons, this sauce is a must-have for spicy food lovers.
Sauces, Dips, and Marinate are such important components in the kitchen. The best thing is if you can combine all of those functions in one sauce. And that’s exactly what Peri Peri Sauce does.
You can use is to marinated tofu, for example, use as a spread and eat it with fresh focaccia bread, or you can simply use it as a sauce or dip with many dishes. I love to offer this sauce when inviting friends for brunch or for barbecue occasions.
What is Peri Peri Sauce?
Peri Peri, also called Piri Piri, is originally made in Portugal and describes a hot sauce made of Bird’s eye chilies.
The sauce also includes red capsicum, onions, garlic, and herbs. Due to the roasted veggies, the sauce gets an extra delicious flavor and is very intense.
In case you don’t have Bird’s eye chilies, you can easily use any other kind of hot red chili instead (as I did for this recipe).
- 3 red capsicum
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped into large chunks)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped into large chunks)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried chillis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Place the red peppers (with skin on) on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to the tray and bake all for another 10 min.
- Remove from the oven. The capsicum should have black skin, which is normal. Let the roasted ingredients cool down.
- Peel capsicum (The skin should be very easy to peel).
- Transfer peeled capsicum and other ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth
- The Peri Peri sauce is ready. Use it as an accompaniment, spread, marinade or a dip.